The Certificate in Service-Learning Instructional Leadership course is designed for individuals passionate about the benefits and engagement of students in service-learning and supports organizations seeking to build the capacity of staff to lead within their school or organization.
The implementation of service-learning requires instructional leadership at the school and community level to promote highly-effective practices. Through this certification program, educators and community leaders gain foundational knowledge and the essential tools to inspire and prepare themselves and others to tap into the power of service-learning.
Through a cohort model, participants are immersed in the pedagogy, process, research, and planning through hands-on experiences and are prepared to serve as an instructional leader within their school or organization. The programs’ combination of content related to both service-learning and instructional leadership makes it unique in its offerings and applicable to school leaders, community programs, curriculum coordinators, counselors, teachers, and youth workers.
Each course is four days with 4 hours of synchronous instruction each day for a total of 64 course hours. The cost of the Certificate in Service-Learning Instructional Leadership is $1,600 ($400/course).
Course 1: SL Pedagogy and Process (4-days, 4 hours each day)
- Gain understanding of service-learning as a teaching and learning strate
- Learn how service-learning correlated with civics, career education, and social-emotional learning
- Explore process for high quality service-learning experiences
- Build knowledge base of outcomes related research on service-learning
View course syllabus
Course 2: Measurements of Quality Practice in Service Learning (4-days, 4 hours each day)
- Explore standards for quality practice in service-learning
- Understand formative and summative assessment methods to use in service-learning
- Reflect on school/community use of service-learning through use of evaluation tools
Course 3: Foundations of Instructional Leadership (4-days, 4 hours each day)
- Evaluate skills and traits of instructional leaders
- Gain understanding of theories in leadership
- Explore approaches to instructional and organizational leadership
- Build skills in communications, problem solving, reflection, and program planning
Course 4: Instructional Leadership in Service Learning (4-days, 4 hours each day)
- Engage in diverse instructional leadership strategies
- Explore professional learning topics and agendas related to service-learning
- Practice and reflect on instructional leadership experiences in service-learning
- Plan for future opportunities to serve as instructional leader and provide professional learning experiences to educators in your community
Application & Start Date
Each cohort consists of no less than 10 or more than 25 participants.
Summer2020 Cohort, Course 1: Service-Learning Pedagogy & Process
Dates & Times
Monday, July 13, 2020 (2:00 PST, 4:00 CST, 5:00 EST - 4 hours)
Saturday, July 18, 2020 (9:00 PST, 11:00 CST, 12:00 EST - 4 hours)
Monday, July 27, 2020 (2:00 PST, 4:00 CST, 5:00 EST - 4 hours)
Saturday, August 1, 2020 (9:00 PST, 11:00 CST, 12:00 EST - 4 hours)
Fall, winter, and spring dates and times will be selected by the cohort.
The Summer2020 Cohort is full.
The Fall2020 Cohort will begin Course 1: SL Pedagogy and Process in November of 2020 with winter, spring, and summer dates and times to be selected by the cohort.