National Youth Leadership Training
“What I got out of NYLT was a reality check. I come from an affluent family and both of my parents are physicians. If it wasn't for NYLT, I could have easily been a spoiled kid unaware of my place in society and living in my own world. For this I am truly thankful.” —Faraz Qaisrani, 2008 participant
The National Youth Leadership Training is powering the next generation of leaders. While racism, classism, and oppression affect us all, young people are among the most vulnerable. But with the right resources and adult allies to support them — youth make meaningful change happen.
For youth, NYLT is a life-changing week of adventure, self-discovery, cultural exchange, leadership-building, and service. Adult mentors — the critical connection point between the youth taking charge and the resources provided by the National Youth Leadership Council — gain the skills needed to support these youth in creating a year-long plan of action.
Youth arrive with a range of leadership experiences, and leave with:
- The ability to work together with people of different races, ethnicities, genders, geographies, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Adult allies to support their leadership development and service-learning action plan.
- The tools and knowledge to create equitable change in their communities.
- Motivation to take action for the common good.
- An enhanced awareness of social, political, and environmental issues, including the achievement gap.